Electrical Energy Saving
Without spending a dime
To start with, I will go in detail about the option1 to start Electrical Energy Savingwithout any expenses extra.
- Switch off lights which are not necessary, without loosing safe moving through your spaces.
- Open the door of the fridge/freezer, only to get the stuff out, which you are going to use and close it immediately. Opening the door of the fridge will switch on the light inside, which normally uses some 45 watt of power. Through the open door cold air escapes, which will have to be replaced, according to the thermostat setting. Think ahead of what you will need to get out of the fridge and do that in the shortest time possible. It helps if the content of the fridge/freezer is well organized.
- Do a simple test to see if the seal of the door is in good condition. Place a sheet of paper on the body of the fridge, close the door and try to pull the paper out. D this test on all four sides. If you can pull the paper out easily, you have a leak and eventually need to change the seal.
- Do not put uncovered liquids in the refrigerator. They fridge will work harder (use more energy), to remove the moisture.
- Keep refrigerators full without inhibiting the air circulation
- Avoid placing the fridge/freezer in a location with direct sunlight or near other heat producing appliances.
- The laundry washer should be used in an efficient way. Avoid small washes. relative much more water and energy is used per weight of cloth.
- If you live in a dry and/or windy place, consider doing away your drier.
- Keep heat-producing appliances such as lamps and televisions away from the thermostat of the central air conditioner.
- Shade the outside component of window air-conditioning if it is in full sunlight
- Set the thermostat on the highest setting to still feeling comfortable,, even if you have to wear an extra vest.
- Clean the filters and coils of the air conditioner, regularly.
- Unplug equipment with standby mode when not in use. Depending on the total number of this type of appliances, you might save up to 14 % on energy.
- Air dry dishes instead of using the dishwasher’s dryer cycle.
These were some of the most important ways to save energy without spending money. In the next option, I will write about how to save with usually less than a 100 dollar in investment.
WARNING!!! Finally a warning. Do not use an Ampere Meter to measure the consumption of your appliances. Do not buy into that. The differences in the Amps does not necessarily mean your KWh consumption goes down or up as well. This might work for a non inductive appliance such as a simple heater, but sure not for an inductive motor such as a compressor, washing machine, electric pump etc. The only real proof of energy saving is, if you use the readings of a KWh Meter.
The Electric Company is charging you for the KWh used to start with. The formula to calculate KWh is Volt X Amperes X Power Factor X hours used ( for split phase and three phase appliances even another component is added to this formula. A simple heater or incandescent bulb will generally show a power factor of 1.0, Induction motors have power factors often as low .50 and if the efficiency is improved at full load this may creep up to the .80 or even the .90 mark. There are devices to improve the power factor, but they too consume a part of the energy and not necessarily reduce the consumption of electricity at all stages of the duty cycle of the applianc
- Electrical Energy Saving without spending a dime.
- Electrical Energy Saving with small investments, under a 100 dollar.
- Electrical Energy Saving with an investment upfront.